Cleve House School prides itself on providing an excellent education for the children of south Bristol for over seventy years. The school has been in the present building since 1948, having moved several times during the war.
Cleve House was originally built by Charles Bevis a successful Victorian entrepreneur in 1887. The house was called Arcadia but was known locally as the “Lemonade Palace” as Mr Bevis manufactured soft drinks in Jacob Street, Bristol.
King Leopold of the Belgians is reputed to have stayed at Arcadia as a guest of Charles Bevis.
David and Elaine Lawson became Heads in 1987 being the third principals in the school’s history. In 1992 Cleve House extended to include a Nursery and in 2002 added a large assembly hall replacing the coach house. A music room and conservatory playroom followed in 2003.
Craig Wardle became the schools’s fourth principal in August 2015 and looks forward to taking the school into the next exciting stage in its history maintaining the excellent education Cleve House has always provided with traditional values (and lots of fun!!)